I love to chill out!
Is it just me General Choi Hong Hi and Wim Hoff who love a cold shower or are there more of you out there?
Now don’t get me wrong I know I’m a little strange and I’ve been told I’m a bit bonkers but there are some fantastic health benefits to be had from a cold shower – not to mention the obvious benefit of the money you’ll save on heating water.
Cold showers are the low hanging health fruit which can be so easily picked, so why aren’t more people picking it? It’s such an easy thing to do and it’s completely free.
Well, I guess because it does take a bit of guts to start having cold showers, particularly when the weather outside is cold, but there are huge benefits and it’s certainly worth persevering with them.
If you have a serious heart condition then cold showers might not be for you, if you want to try some, it might be worth checking with your doctor before you jump in.
Here’s a list of the benefits;
1. It lowers stress levels: Cold showers can reduce the amount of uric acid and boost glutathione levels which in turn reduces stress.
2. Lowers the chances of depression: It helps to release noradrenaline, that’s a chemical that known to play a part in relieving depression
3. Helps to raise Testosterone levels: I think that’s enough said about that one
4. Improves fertility: You’ll not only get a boost of testosterone, but your sperm count will also rise too
5. Promotes faster muscle recovery: That’s why athletes have ice baths! It helps remove lactic acid and promotes circulation; both should help speed up recovery
6. Helps to promote better sleep at night
7. Promote fat loss
8. Give your immune system a boost
9. Drains your lymphatic system
10. Great bragging rights
11. Acts as an anti-depressant
12. Makes you mentally stronger
13. Increased alertness
I started having cold showers a long time ago when I was suffering from a debilitating skin condition, Psoriasis. When you have a condition that makes every day a challenge, you’re willing to try anything to get a little quality back in your life. Cold showers were one of many things that I tried to strengthen my immune system – although my skin has now improved, I still continue with the cold shower treatment on a daily basis.
So, what are you waiting for?
The thoughts of Major General Choi Hong Hi, the founder of Taekwon-Do
The General believed that activities such as travel, mountain climbing, cold showers and baths, public service and etiquette should all be a fundamental part of a student’s training through which they learn about morality.
Good luck and chill out!